Ball started his high school career at Chino Hills High School in Chino Hills, California, where he and his elder brothers Lonzo and LiAngelo won a state championship and saw success on the national stage as freshmen.
He signed with the Lithuanian professional team Prienai before the start of his junior season after leaving Chino Hills due to a coaching disagreement.
LaMelo participated in the father-founded Junior Basketball Association (JBA) in 2018 before enrolling at SPIRE Academy in Geneva, Ohio, as a senior.
Due to eligibility issues, Ball, a five-star recruit who had committed to UCLA, decided to forgo playing collegiate basketball and instead play for the Illawarra Hawks of the National Basketball League (NBL) in Australia in 2019. There, he had a meteoric ascent that caught the attention of scouts.
In the 2020 NBA Draft, LaMelo was selected by the Charlotte Hornets with the overall 3rd pick. In 2021, Ball won the NBA Rookie of the Year award. The following year, in 2022, he was selected for the NBA All-Star game.
Since playing together in high school, Ball and his brothers have gained widespread notice. In 2017, his father LaVar also developed into a media figure. Ball is in the Facebook Watch reality series Ball in the Family and has a signature shoe by his father’s business, Big Baller Brand.
LaMelo Ball playing for Charlotte Hornets.[Photograph].Bleacherreport.AP Photo/Jacob Kupferman.
- Birth: August 22, 2001
- Nationality: Anaheim, California, U.S.
- Position: Point guard
- League: NBA
- Team: Charlotte Hornets
- High School: Chino Hills (Chino Hills, California)/SPIRE Academy (Geneva, Ohio)
- Height: 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)
- Weight: 180 lb (82 kg)
- NBA Draft: 2020 / Round: 1 / Pick: 3rd overall – Selected by the Charlotte Hornets
- Team Jersey: No. 1
- Nickname: Melo
- Playing Career: 2018–present
- Career History:
2018–present: Prienai / Los Angeles Ballers
2019–2020: Illawarra Hawks
2020–present: Charlotte Hornets
Career Highlights and Awards
|NBA Rookie of the Year||2021|
|NBA All-Rookie First Team||2021|
|NBL Rookie of the Year||2020|
|Second-team All-Big 12||2014|
|Big 12 All-Defensive Team||2014|
|Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year||2014|
|Big 12 All-Newcomer Team||2014|
- LaMelo was born into a basketball family—his parents and his brother Gelo were both college basketball players, and his eldest brother Lonzo also plays in NBA.
- Candy is one of the things LaMelo cannot live. He is crazy about sweets even though he actually has a serious sweet tooth!
- LaMelo has already signed a significant shoe contract with Puma, a brand that will enable him to be uniquely himself since he enjoys being unique and understands that he is “one of one.”
- LaVar, LaMelo’s father, gave him a nickname called The Entertainer, just because Melo is amusing! He is aware that LaMelo will capture and hold your attention regardless of what he says, does, or how flashy a play he makes.
It’s time to get a basketball jersey for yourself.
Nothing is better than to support your favorite player by wearing his jersey.